It is necessary to decide why you need such knowledge of Python programming. This will help you choose the most suitable method for learning and avoid possible mistakes.
The advantage of Python is that there exists a lot of online courses on this popular programming language. It is a high level universal language that has a huge community around it and allows you to build high-quality applications.
So if you are setting your goals as learning Python and want to be thorough with what you pick up, the best way is to start with a book. I can recommend the following tutorials:
- Codecademy – learn python through interactive tutorials
- Introduction to programming using Python 3 – very well written tutorial by Hans Petter Langtangen
- A Byte of Python – free book on the Python language released under GNU Free Documentation License
- Python Programming- An Introduction to Computer Science (By John M. Zelle)
- Python Crash Course- A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming (By Eric Matthes)
- Programming Python- Powerful Object-Oriented Programming
- Grokking Algorithms– An illustrated guide for programmers and other curious people
- Learning Python, 5th Edition by Mark Lutz
- Head-First Python by Paul Barry
- Python Cookbook by David Beazley and Brian K. Jones
I recommend reading each one of them, but if you only have a limited amount of time I advise you to start with Codecademy tutorial . It is short and easy-to-understand, and it consists of material which will help you understand the basics of Python programming.
The second tutorial you can take is Introduction to programming using Python 3. This tutorial made by Hans Petter Langtangen, which is very popular among beginner programmers. So if you are interested in learning Python step-by-step, this course will be useful for you.
It’s also worth to mention the website A Byte of Python . It’s a free book on how to program in Python, and it has been written for both beginner and advanced programmers. The site was released under GNU Free Documentation License, so you can download it as an e-book.
If you want to learn it from scratch then I’d recommend you to read “python in easy steps” The reason why I love it is Because they use code examples in real language and they give you multiple screenshots of what each variable looks like when you create it and they also tell you how many times each variable is used. you will learn how to create a real world program step by step.
There is also an introduction to file handling in the beginning of the book which tells you what a program is and how to run.
Hope this has been helpful, let me know how it all works out for you and goodluck on your journey. From one newbie to another!